What is Citric Acid?
- Citric acid is known to be a weak acid that occurs naturally in citrus fruits such as orange, lemon and so on. The chemical formula of Citric Acid is C6 H8 O7.
- It gives foods and beverages a tart, citrus taste, and acts as a preservative.
- It has a sour flavor.
Benefits/Advantages/Uses Of Citric Acid:
- It prevents the formation of kidney stones.
- It helps in the regeneration of skin tissues.
- It prevents discoloration of the skin.
- When used with water, helps to clear a sore throat and kills bacteria.
- It helps in the production of collagen.
- Moisturize the skin and brightens up the face.
The disadvantage of citric acid/ Side Effects
We advise you to stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- swelling, numbness in your hands or feet, tingling;
- leg pain or cramps; muscle twitching or pain,
- unusual weakness, rapid and shallow breathing, fast or slow heart rate, dizziness, confusion, or mood changes;
- feeling restless, nervous, or irritable;
- black, bloody, or tarry stools;
- severe or ongoing diarrhea; or
- seizure (convulsions).
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea, or vomiting, stomach pain;
- mild or occasional diarrhea; or
- mild stomach pain.
Is citric acid good for your skin?
Yes, citric acid helps in treating different types of skin related issues like mild acne, pigmentation, sun tanning and dark spots listed above.
Is citric acid bad for you?
No, it not bad for health, but we should use it in a limited quantity to avoid any problem.
What is citric acid good for?Citric acid is a flavoring agent. It is used for proper mineral supplementation of food.
Can citric acid burn your skin?
No, citric acid is present in all citrus fruits. If it were dangerous, then we could not have eaten oranges. It depends on how it is used as a cosmetic ingredient.
Is citric acid useful for hair?
Yes, citric acid helps to remove clogged follicles on the scalp. So, it helps in hair growth.
Why is citric acid used in shampoos?
It is added to a minimal amount to maintain pH so that it matches the skin’s natural pH level.