Benefits of Drumstick/ Moringa, side effects, how to use
A plant that changed the lives of many individuals. A plant that is not just limited to certain rural regions, but managed to enter the era of pharmacies. The one plant that helped us fight the pandemic can be easily in the houses of India and Nepal. “ Moringa” in India or “Drumsticks”, as named by the people in the West. In this article, we will be discussing The Miracle Tree, how it changed the lives of many, and how to make the best use of it.
Moringa as a Superfood: Moringa or Moringa Oleifera, a special plant that is famous all over Asia for various medicinal properties. It has received the reputation of being a superfood recently, due to its antiviral, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory agents. The performance of moringa during the pandemic also resulted in justifying the statement of Moringa being a superfood.
The usage of Moringa has been centuries old, but with modern times, the uses of Moringa became modern too. These modern usages also resulted in calling Moringa the tree of life.
Moringa as a Tree of Life: Since Moringa is full of nutritious agents, there is no harm in calling it a tree of life, since it can help an individual deal with various diseases. Early Stage Cancer is one of the major diseases that moringa is seen to cure. It is not just increasing the lifespan of humans, but also creating economic stability for various families.
Moringa is a part of a craft. It is used for painting fabrics that are quite popular during modern times. It not only took the world of medicine to a next level but also made its mark in the fashion industry. Unique isn’t it. All these properties justify all those unique names it has earned over the years.
Moringa has managed to attain various names in different regions of the world. Since it has various uses depending on which region we are talking about, it was obvious that it will have several names. A few of the names of Moringa Tree are as follows:
- Moringa oleifera
- Sajjan tree
- Miracle tree
Benefits of Drumstick /Moringa :
Moringa as a plant has countless benefits when consumed in the right amount. The benefits are as follows:
- The high protein value helps in the thickening of the hair.
- The high Vitamin C and antioxidants along with anti-inflammatory properties result in glowing and acne-free skin.
- Moringa pods have the least amount of fat, thus if you intend to lose some weight go for eating moringa pods at least once a week.
- The combination of nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants of Moringa help in managing diabetes and asthma.
- The antioxidants in Moringa are great for kidneys, bladder, and liver. They make sure your body is toxin-free.
- The protein and vitamin consistency in the powder is great for Arthritis.
- If your hormones are imbalanced due to hypothyroidism, the antioxidants of Moringa will help in creating a balance in your body.
- The vitamin B and C in the powder help your body in boosting immunity. Make sure you do not consume Moringa in excess amounts otherwise it can work in the opposite direction.
Note: Do not consume Moringa on an empty stomach, and do not exceed 2 tablespoons in terms of quantity.
Moringa’s Nutritious Combinations
- Spirulina and moringa: It is an amazing combination of protein, vitamins and minerals. It helps in blood purification and fights fatigue.
- Fenugreek and moringa: If you are a woman struggling with breast milk production, then this combination is for you. It also lowers cholesterol and inflammation in the body.
- Moringa and aloe vera: this combination is famous for providing relief from cramps. It also absorbs impurities to keep the skin acne free.
- Turmeric and moringa: This combination is an overall immunity booster. It relieves the body from pain and inflammation.
- Ashwagandha and moringa: This combination works on the strength factor of the body. This combination is highly beneficial for the people who had just recovered from an illness.
Raw Moringa seeds are the best when it comes to nutritious value. They have 0 calories and 35.97 g of protein that is the highest among all the forms of Moringa. If you are looking for high quantities of Vitamin C, then you should go for consuming pods. In the case of Vitamin B, the consumption of raw and dry Moringa leaves will suit them best. The Seeds are seen to have maximum fat and the pods have the least amount of carbs.
Note: The form you want to choose for consumption depends on the medical conditions of your body. Make sure you do a medical checkup before consuming Moringa.
A unique form of Moringa, that has various nutritious properties along with some daily life uses. This form of Moringa is great for water purification. The people living in Rural India have been using this form of Moringa to purify water daily.
It acts as a spice in food by adding flavor to the dish and acts as paint for fabrics. It is an excellent agent to cure fever, headaches, and intestinal cancer. One has to make sure that it is not consumed in large quantities. 1-2 tablespoons are enough for one day.
Side Effects of Moringa:
Even though Moringa is quite safe when it comes to healing properties. But if consumed in large quantities, it might show some side effects. The expected side effects of Moringa are as follows:
- The plant has large quantities of alkaloids, thus it slows down the heart rate and blood pressure.
- Fertility might get affected.
- Consumption of roasted moringa seeds might result in cell mutation.
- Large quantities can result in uterine contractions, gas, diarrhea, and an upset stomachImportant note: Do not consume moringa if you are pregnant.
Moringa’s Different forms
- Moringa powder
- Moringa oil
- Moringa capsule
- Gond moringa
- Moringa pods
How To Use?
- Moringa Powder
Using Moringa Powder is not a challenging task as one or two tablespoons of powder will not cause any harm to the body. You can use the powder in various ways:
- You can choose to sprinkle the Moringa Powder on your salads or any meal that you eat.
- If you bake your bread at home, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of Moringa Powder to the dough.
- You can also add 1-2 tablespoons to your soups and tea during the meal.
- It also goes well with cold items such as milkshakes, coconut water, apple juice, etc.
- You can also add the powder in pasta sauces, ice-creams, and smoothies.
- Moringa Oil
You can use Moringa as both essential and cooking oil. It is great for skin and hair due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Here are some pointers about using Moringa oil daily:
- You can use it as a cooking oil due to its high protein content and oleic acid. It is pocket-friendly and healthy to use.
- It can be used as a cleansing and moisturizing agent.
- The sterols present in Moringa oil can be used to manage Cholesterol when used in cooking.
- You can use it directly on skiing and hair in case of acne and hair fall. The high protein content and anti-inflammatory properties keep your hair thick and skin acne-free.
- Moringa Capsules
In the case of capsules, it is ideal to go for 3 capsules a day. The dosage might range from 420mg to 2g depending on the age and the medical conditions of the body. Make sure you read all the instructions on the box before consuming.
Note: People with quite active lifestyles and high-stress levels are advised to take 5 capsules a day.
- Gond Moringa
Gonda Moringa can be used in various meat dishes and various vegetarian dishes, as a spice. It is also used as an agent to create paint for fabric paintings.
One tablespoon of Gonda moringa can increase breast milk production and a machine lubricant.
- Moringa pods
Moringa pods are really good at purifying water. You can use a cup of moringa pods in 2 liters of water. You can also use a small bowl of moringa pods as a cooking agent.
Tip: Moringa pods are also consumed as curry. You can choose to have it twice a month.
Frequently Asked Questions.
- Can I have Moringa powder on my empty stomach?
No, It is not recommended to have Moringa powder on your empty stomach, as it can cause acidity in your stomach. You can consume it with a meal though, but make sure it is free of any seeds as they are seen to have toxic effects on the immune system.
- Are drumstick leaves good for kidney patients?
It is a definite yes since drumstick leaves make sure that your kidneys and bladder are free of kidney stones. The antioxidants present in the drumstick leaves help to keep your body toxin-free.
- List of 300 diseases that Moringa cures?
Moringa is seen to cure diseases like Asthma when taken twice a day. It is seen to improve the functioning of the lungs in mild to moderate asthma. Diabetes is another severe disease that can be managed by consuming moringa tablets along with the medicine named sulfonylureas. You can also improve your weight by adding moringa powder to your food for at least 2 months. Other major diseases tackled by moringa are epilepsy, menopause, arthritis, High blood pressure, heart problems, cancer, gum diseases, warts, snake bites, etc.
- How long does it take for Moringa to start working?
In most cases, it takes approximately 1-2 weeks for Moringa to show its effects, as the body takes its own time to adapt to the medicine.
- Can Moringa Powder really do wonders?
Yes, if you are using organic Moringa Powder you can definitely see a positive change. But, you have to make sure that you are consuming the powder in the right manner, otherwise, it can harm your immune system.
- What is Moringa and why is it called a Miracle Tree?
Moringa is a special tree that can heal your body from the inside out. It is known as a miracle tree because its parts have been used by nutritionists and pharmacists to create effective medication for ages.
- Can I eat Moringa Oleifera consistently for a week?
Yes, you can definitely go for eating Moringa consistently, the Vitamin B and C will improve your immune system if consumed in the right manner.
- Can I eat Moringa leaves?
Yes, you can choose to have one cup of chopped raw Moringa leaves to enjoy its healthy vitamins and other nutrients.
- What is the best time to drink Moringa Tea?
Moringa Tea is totally caffeine-free, thus you can choose to have it at any time of the day. Make sure you do not consume it on an empty stomach.